Saving at the the grocery store has become so slick with the advent of mobile apps and Checkout51 appeals to silent savers and extreme couponers alike:
- Not a coupon clipper? You can discreetly snap photos of your grocery receipts in the privacy of your own home and claim cash back rebates from Checkout51
- Extreme Couponer?! Plan your menu and stockpile shopping based on the current Checkout51 offers and take time to pricematch the best sale price while matching your coupons for multiple layers of savings!
The naysayers wonder exactly how claiming $1 back on a loaf of bread can add up to hundreds of dollars in savings a year.
Checkout51 is one of my favourite cash back mobile apps and I’ve earned back hundreds of dollars since registering my first account in November, 2012. Naysayers point out that “saving $1 on a loaf of bread, once a week hardly adds up to hundreds a dollar per year in savings”. But by learning to use the app wisely, I’ve been able to earn back enough cash to cover the cost of my iPad! For real!
In a nutshell, Checkout 51 is free mobile app and website which allows you to claim cash back rebates by snapping a photo of your grocery receipt. The list of offers is updated every Thursday morning and you can claim each offer once per account. Some weeks I claim back only $1 or $2 whereas other weeks I’ve earned over $5 in cash back rebates for each of my accounts. Either way, I’m never spending more than a couple of minutes processing my receipts on the app – it’s really fast and easy.
4 Steps to Start Using Checkout51 to Earn Cash Back with your Grocery Receipts:
- Download the free app to your Android or Apple mobile device AND/OR set up an account on your home computer (desktop or laptop). Smartphones, tablets, iPads and iPods all work, as long as they have internet capability (wifi or data) and have a camera.
- Scroll through the list of current offers to see if there are any products you’ll be purchasing during the offer period (Thursday to Wednesday 11:59pm ET each week).
- Purchase the item(s) and upload a picture of your receipt using the easy-to-use steps outlined by the app or website. This step worried me in the beginning, but it was really simple to use.
- Once your account has a balance of $20 or more, hit the “request a cheque” button and expect your cheque in the mail! My cheques have arrived within 5 business days consistently!
Once you’ve got the hang of using Checkout51, make sure you’re using it wisely and earning as much money as possible in weekly cash back rebates:
- open a new Checkout 51 account for every mobile device in your household, plus one for your home computer. We have 4 Checkout51 accounts in our family (2 android smartphones, 1 iPad, 1 laptop) and I therefore earn 4x cash back on my grocery receipts
- pay for your items in separate transactions so that you can claim a cash back rebate on multiple products. For example, if claiming $1 back on a loaf of bread, I often purchase 4 loaves, pay for them in separate transactions, and submit each receipt (once only) using each of my 4 Checkout51 accounts.
- check the current offers as early as possible – HOT offers can run out before the end of the offer period, especially if an product ends up being FREE due to a sale matched with a coupon as well. It’s these layers of savings that make the Checkout51 app an extra valuable tool when trying to save on your grocery bills.
- check the offers on each of your accounts, each week. The offers sometimes differ per device and you want to make sure you’re claiming the highest value ones first. For example, I’m sometimes offered $.50 back on a grocery receipt that has $20 or more in groceries, and the very same week, one of my other accounts might have $1 cash back for the same offer.
If you’re looking for a paperless method for couponing that requires no clipping or scouring the internet to find coupons to print or order to arrive in the mail, Checkout51 is a great way to add a layer of savings when you’re grocery shopping. Whether you reach your $20 goal slowly over a number of weeks, or get there quickly AND on multiple accounts, it really is FREE cash in your pocket for simply snapping a photo of your grocery receipt!
Tell us how you’re making out with your Checkout51 earnings – we’d love to hear your success stories! ~Christa Clips
Christa Clips shares her Save-at-Home-Mom story on her blog along with frugal living tips. We welcome Christa to Common Cents Mom and look forward to her upcoming posts with more ways to save on groceries, shopping, and household costs.