First I want to wish you each that stop by here today a great Halloween night….may this day not leave you too exhausted. Roo is going as a mermaid. My girlfriend Anne Marie(who spoils Roo rotten) bought her a mermaid costume. This mom was going to make Roo make a costume from stuff we have here at home. How dare I right? Well lucky for me me dear girlfriend is on a plane at this very hour going from China to Australia for a once in a life time trip. So no more Roo spoiling till at least December…
Now the thing every parent will of a school age trick or treater will be asking is what to do with all that candy..Roo usually brings home a pillowcase full….can you say candy mania!
Tonight I let her eat as much as she wants! Maybe I spoil her too. But after tonight things change in this house rather quick, and I become the Grinch that stole the Halloween candy.
After tonight this cheap mom lays down the law….
1. The cookie jar becomes the candy jar for the month of Nov…roo favorites go in here and she is allowed one a day…Don’t they say one a day keeps the doctor away? Wait that is for apples.
2. Chocolate bars that mom can get my hands on go into the freezer, these make great inserts for baking, and don’t you know frozen chocolate takes longer to eat making the treat last longer.
3.Think math concepts: sorting and stacking and grouping all help our lil ones learn math skills…do we have any future bankers?
4.Think craft time: Have you ever seen a candy tree? or strung life savers to make an edible necklace.
5. Some candy gets set aside for holiday baking…can you say cheap gingerbread men and houses…
6. Now if you are ambitious you could make a pinata for an upcoming birthday party( if you have a child like mine this means less favor buying right?)
7. Okay another craft idea Christmas ornaments….do I have you thinking, huh, Okay Hollie must be nuts or she has too much time on her hands.
Oh and I love the big oneas we go out early Roo instantly recycles her candy…anything she doesn’t like goes out to the late trick or treaters( you know the teens).
So with that send and done all the candy disappears quite quickly thank goodness.
Which brings me to Christmas Tip #2
Save candies for the gingerbread men and house, put in a sealed container or ziploc baggies to keep fresh.
Well time for this parent to get ready for this LONG day. May you not get too spooked tonight.