I hate laundry. It is never ending, smelly, dirty, and sometimes just plain gross but it has to get done.
Most of us spend too much of our hard earned cash on this task. We could be tackling the laundry and saving along the way. How? Here are some suggestions:
- Get yourself an energy efficient washing machine if you can. Even though there will be an outlay of cash in the beginning you will reap the savings. Have you tried a front loading machine by chance? They save energy and water.
- Wash on the shortest wash cycle. Do you really need the extra minutes. Most of the time the answer is no.
- My favorite way to save when doing the laundry is to hang it. Clothes just smell better hung. If you really must use a dryer try doing for only the first 15 minutes and then hang them out.
- If you are going to use that dreaded dryer make sure you clean the lint.
- Be soap savvy – buy it on sale, use the store brands and make sure you are not using too much soap, really a little goes a long way.
- Add vinegar or baking soda to deodorize your clothes on the cheap. Really got those smelly sports uniforms. Try it you will love it. A 1/4 cup goes a long way.
- Wash in cold water. It simply saves your pocket book.
Do you have any tips that save you money while attacking the dirtiest of the dirty?
Now I am off to 5 Minutes for Mom who host a Tackle It Tuesday. You can read how women are tacking many different projects in their homes.