I hate laundry. It is never ending, smelly, dirty, and sometimes just plain gross but it has to get done. I don’t know how but my daughter and my daughter and I amass the amount of dirty clothes that we do, but it happens. Laundry day is my least favourite day of the week.
Most of us spend too much of our hard earned cash on this chore. We could be tackling the laundry and saving along the way. How? Here are seven laundry tips that will help you tame the chaos:
- Get yourself an energy efficient washing machine if you can. Even though there will be an outlay of cash, in the beginning, you will reap the savings. Have you tried a front loading machine by chance? They save energy and water.
- Wash on the shortest wash cycle. Do you need the extra minutes? Most of the time the answer is no.
- My favorite way to save when doing the laundry is to hang it. Clothes just smell better hung. If you really must use a dryer try doing for only the first 15 minutes and then hang them out.
- If you are going to use, that dreaded dryer make sure you clean the lint. Always clean the lint!
- Be soap savvy – buy it on sale, use the store brands and make sure you are not using too much soap, a little goes a long way.
- Add vinegar or baking soda to deodorize your clothes on the cheap. Got those smelly sports uniforms, try it you will love it. A 1/4 cup goes a long way.
- Wash in cold water. It simply saves your pocketbook.
Do you have any tips that save you money while attacking the dirtiest of the dirty? Let me know in the comments.