With all the focus on the environment these days, shopping at thrift, second hand, or consignment store has become the eco-friendly way to refresh your wardrobe. As a bonus, thrift store shopping is considerably easier on the budget than shopping for new items. If you haven’t considered thrift store shopping before, here are some great reasons to try it:
1) It’s good for the environment – Instead of buying new, look for gently used items first. Every item of clothing bought second hand is one less purchased new. Clothing manufacturing is not a green industry overall so every little bit we can do to reduce the amount of new clothing produced is helpful.
2) You can buy locally. Thrift, second hand, and consignment stores all get their donations from the communities they’re in, so there is minimal transportation of goods. This is better for the environment and good for the local economy since the money usually helps out in the community the store is located in.
3) It’s good for your community. Many thrift and second hand stores support community causes – Goodwill, the Salvation Army, and Value Village are the big chains and all 3 give back to the communities in which they are located. Locally run thrift stores by community organizations are often non profits that give all proceeds back to the community that they’re located in. Thrift stores can also act as a sheltered workplace for people who need support in order to be employed.
4) You can score some awesome deals. Over the years, I’ve found designer purses, brand name clothing, and even a leather jacket all for great prices. One of the purses even had the original price tag tucked inside – a $135 Kate Spade purse that I bought for less than $5! I can’t promise that you’ll find a deal like that when you go, but I can say that you won’t find one if you don’t look!
5) You can find some really unique items and be creative. If you’re someone who likes to stand out from the crowd, why get your clothes in a store where there are hundreds of the same outfit? Almost everything in a thrift store is a one off, which allows you to be creative and put together an awesome outfit, that’s truly one of a kind.
6) Their sales are better. Thrift stores have some amazing deals – some have 50 or 75 percent off sales on certain tag colours or items, others have “fill a bag for $10” deals. Ask the staff at your favourite thrift store what promotions they have, and how often.
7) Two words: treasure hunt. I love the thrill of the hunt –finding something awesome and unexpected. Thrift stores are amazing places to find unexpected treasures – you truly never know what you’re going to find!
By shopping at a thrift, second hand, or consignment store, you’re saving yourself money and saving the environment at the same time. It’s a win-win situation!