After one of the harshest Canadian winters I have faced in several years, I am so glad that spring is here. Now I am thinking of my backyard, the garden and all the things that are on my list as I prepare my backyard for the hopefully warmer days soon ahead. Have you gotten into spring thinking yet? Have you thought about how you will prepare your backyard for the spring/summer season? One of the easiest ways to prepare your backyard for warmer weather is to make a list and check it twice. Yes, I make lists for everything.
How to Prepare Your Backyard for Spring
- Clean the backyard: First on my list is to clean the yard. You know, get rid of the leaves and garbage that magically appear after the thaw of a Canadian winter. This is also my time to assess what needs to be fixed, repaired or replaced.
- Clean and repair the deck: After a long Canadian winter, it is important to inspect your deck to determine whether or not it needs work.
- Tackle any repairs that need to be done: We usually have this done by the Easter weekend. We host a small egg hunt in the backyard so it is important that the yard is safe and ready to use.
- Create functional zones in your backyard: We love our garden—there is a play area for the kids, we have a grilling station and two areas for entertaining. With three families in our house, a multi-purpose backyard is a must.
- Decorate your backyard: We love adding pops of colour. Our flower beds add colour, and each season we head out and buy a few new pieces. New dishes for the eating area, a new table cloth, placements and pillows are all considered.
- Check the toys and play structures: We want to ensure the kids are safe so we always check these out and ensure they are cleaned and replaced when necessary.
- Check your cooking area: Does it need anything? Is everything clean? It might be a great time to start looking at the newest grills, or perhaps you want a smoker or a new backyard fire pit.
- Make sure the backyard is well lit: We loved adding some cute lanterns we found last year on sale.
- Check out flyers, articles and Pinterest boards for inspiration: Also be sure to take a walk through some stores with great outdoor spaces for design inspiration. Do you want a luxe look? You can have that. Do you want a casual space? You can have that too. Check out this article on how to make a statement with your patio.
- Make your backyard shopping list: Have you always wanted a great seating area? A new table and chairs? Multiple seating areas? There are so many ways to create a fun and functional space. With all this inspiration, I am sure you will find something new that you will want to try.
This weekend you will want to check out the Leon’s flyer for some great inspiration and sales. There is nothing better than preparing that perfect spring backyard on a budget.