It’s hard to believe Common Cents Mom is ten!
I started this blog ten years ago. I wanted it to be an inspiration and a way for me to share the knowledge I was gaining. It has been quite a rollercoaster ride and my community has shared it all with me!
So what are some of the highlights:
- Over 1000 posts written ( that averages to 2 posts a week)
- Started the first Personal Finance Chat in Canada even before the banks were talking about money online!
- Wrote a tweet to Oprah that ended up in New York Times
- Having this blog and one post featured on every news site in Toronto leading to the raising of thousands of dollars for fire victims.
- Having Common Cents Mom featured on multiple lists as a blog to follow and read. I have been on the top lists more than 20 times.
- Speaking at multiple Blogging Conferences and the University of Toronto as a Guest Speaker twice.
- Being one of 4 bloggers invited by VIA Rail to take the Ocean train as part of its 110 birthday.
- Having met many of my current friends via this blog.
- Helping 2 apps that were created here in Ontario launch. One now has millions of downloads and the other was wanted by 4 Dragons on Dragons Den.
- Over 5 billion social media impressions for brands that have partnered with Common Cents Mom
- Over 200 Twitter Parties or Chats hosted or moderated for brands.
What surprises me every month is that new people visit and become followers and for each and every one of them I am grateful and blessed. I am floored that so many are now friends. I am thankful for conversations and how this community has grown together. I am thankful for the mentors who stepped in and taught me so much about personal finance and blogging. In the area of personal finance, I am thankful for Preet Banerjee who gave me my first paid writing gig. I wrote about my bankruptcy for his blog. I am thankful for Gail Vaz Oxlade who is the original Common Sense personal finance writer. These two I learned much from. In the area of authentic connection, I am thankful for names we who work in the world of Social Media know well. I am grateful or Liz Strauss and Chris Brogan who along with Scott Stratten taught me much that I use every day. It is all about connecting in ways that matter, ways that help and make you think.
Eight years ago, my life changed when I became unemployed and ended up six days later being employed by Connected Multi-Media. Little did I know, all my paid work since has been in the world of social media. From blogging to a freelancer working alongside some great brands and agencies I have had so many great experiences. Dove Chocolates was my very first partner some 8 years ago and I have worked alongside over 100 brands and companies since.
As I look to the next 10 years, I look forward to Common Cents Mom being a resource for those that want to learn about money in ways that make sense, ways that save you time and money. I promise I will always be looking for ways and tools that will help my readers.
Here is living frugally so we can live well!
THANK YOU all for reading and visiting my blog. I appreciate every click and every moment you spend here.